How to Identify and Prevent a Gas Leak

Gas leaks are responsible for 31 deaths and one thousand gas associated illnesses within the past 3 years.  The consequences of a gas leak prove to be fatal, it can instigate carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and explosions. A gas leak is such a dangerous issue yet it’s more common than you think; with 1 in 6 gas appliances unsafe in the entire North West. Therefore, it is essential to be able to be able recognise the symptoms of a gas leak.

Leaks are caused by defective, poorly installed or badly maintained machines. Gas can seep out from the appliance through the gas hose or the seal around it. Old and pre-owned machines are more likely to malfunction, therefore it’s imperative that appliances are serviced annually.

Detecting a gas leak:

The initial indication is the smell of gas and an excessive amount of condensation your windows. Domestic appliances can also reveal a leak, look out for:

  • Soot or scorched marks on and around your boiler
  • The pilot light keeps going out
  • A yellow or orange flame on your gas cooker instead of a crisp blue flame.

However, you can also experience distinct symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning such as:

  • Breathlessness / difficulty breathing
  • Blurred vision
  • Nausea / vomiting
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness

If the symptoms go when you leave the house, this further implies that you’re suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning

What to do if you suspect a gas leak:

Act immediately. Open all windows to try to disperse the gas and evacuate the premises. Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 on your mobile outside or use your neighbours. If the gas has attained a high concentration, the slightest spark, like the static from your clothing can ignite an explosion.  Wait for help to arrive and ensure you take pre-caution with electrical appliances and naked flames.

To prevent a gas leak, you should:

  • Ensure appliances are installed gas safe registered engineers
  • Annual servicing to identify any problems that will worsen overtime.
  • Regularly check machines for scorched marks and any other signs of deterioration.
  • Purchase a Carbon monoxide alarm and install it in an open space. It’s vital to change the batteries annually and can be vital spotting CO poisoning before it becomes fatal.

The National Gas Emergency Service will make your home safe but won’t fix the faulty appliance. Contact us on 0151 601 3134 to repair any dangerous appliances. We’re gas safe accredited and provide an incomparable service.

Posted in Uncategorised
| Privacy Policy | Website managed by Cyberfrog Design